From 1945 to 1948 the Small Fortress housed an internment camp in which were gathered first prisoners of war and later those German residents marked for expulsion from Czechoslovakia. This part of the relatively recent history of Terezín was for a long time taboo, and archive materials were not accessible to researchers. Only the democratic transformation has created normal conditions for the work of historians, and this has enabled the picture of post-war development to be filled out and questions associated with it to be considered objectively. The results of such research were published in 1997 and are presented in a permanent exhibition in the IV. prison courtyard in the Small Fortress.